Principal Engineer - Thermal Systems
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: March 14, 2020
At Trane Technologies we Challenge Possible. Our brands -
including Trane-- and Thermo King--- create access to cooling and
comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and
perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less
environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon
emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly
challenge what's possible for a sustainable world.
Employ the thermosciences in the analysis and evaluation of systems
that produce a refrigerating, heat pumping, air-conditioning, or
heating function. Thermodynamics is the foremost discipline,
augmented with heat and mass transfer along with fluid
- Support development and enable implementation of the next
generation of refrigerants with low environmental impacts covering
all product areas.
- Gather information about prospective refrigerants from
refrigerant manufacturers, review of technical and patent
literature, and other sources.
- Develop and/or utilize tools to model the thermodynamic
properties of prospective refrigerants.
- Conduct analyses to evaluate and screen refrigerant candidates
for further development.
- Direct laboratory testing of units to determine performance of
candidate refrigerants in real equipment. Process data to fully
understand and interpret performance characteristics.
- Prepare reports for internal dissemination of information.
Prepare and present technical papers for external audiences to
support the company's strategic directions.
- Support other technology areas requiring a foundation in
thermosciences, especially the thermodynamics of mixtures.
- Correlating and describing the properties of
- Evaluation of desiccant dehumidification, both liquid and
solid, for air conditioning purposes.
- Modeling and evaluation of absorption cycles for chilling and
heating, including lithium bromide/water and water/ammonia
- Modeling and evaluation of other sorption processes.
- Modeling and evaluation of combustion processes.
- Evaluation of new and innovative technologies as they appear
for potential commercial value, either as disruptive competition or
prospective new products or services for the company.
- Strong understanding of the principles of fundamental
thermodynamics. Understanding of the equations of state for
describing the thermodynamic properties of refrigerants, including
- Strong foundation in single-phase and phase-change (boiling and
condensation) convective heat and mass transfer. Knowledge of
conductive and radiative heat transfer.
- Strong foundation in fluid mechanics.
- Strong understanding of the vapor compression cycle and
component performance characteristics.
- Understanding of chemistry and chemical reactions.
- Capability to build computational tools (Excel, Matlab) to
execute evaluations and analyses of data.
- Ability to formulate a problem, efficiently execute an
analysis, and clearly summarize conclusions and
- Solid skills for writing reports and papers and presenting
relevant material to others.
- Ability to interact and communicate with others in a collegial
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and
programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional
and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is
inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving
customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what's
possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our
communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Corporate, La Crosse , Principal Engineer - Thermal Systems, Other , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!