Thermal Systems Engineer
Company: Commercial HVAC NA and EMEA
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: March 14, 2020
At Trane Technologies we Challenge Possible. Our brands -
including Trane-- and Thermo King-- - create access to cooling and
comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and
perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less
environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon
emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly
challenge what's possible for a sustainable world.
As a Thermal Systems Engineer, you will work as part of the Thermal
Systems Team and be responsible for concept development, design &
verification of heat exchanger and fluid flow components for
application to Trane Commercial HVAC products. Typical components
are round tube plate fin (RTPF) and micro-channel (MCHE) heat
exchangers, brazed plate heat exchangers and shell & tube
refrigerant evaporators and condensers. Your ability to develop new
technology as well as design tools and apply them to the
development and implementation of new heat transfer components will
be a critical requirement for this position.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Conduct new technology, productivity and new product
development (NPD) projects per established processes to design new
products or components and/or improve the function, reliability or
cost of existing products or components.
- Develop and improve tools and processes used for the design and
integration of new heat exchange components within Trane Commercial
HVAC product lines.
- Perform and document engineering analysis required to design,
verify performance, and reliability of HVAC components and
- Plan and direct Laboratory tests to support product design &
verification and work with suppliers to obtain component designs
that meet product requirements.
- Lead ad hoc teams of Engineers (and other roles) through short
duration projects. Responsibilities include project planning,
chairing team meetings, maintaining project deliverables, and
presentation of status and results to other employees and/or
- Work effectively across functional lines (development,
production, design, marketing, suppliers).
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad up to two weeks
at a time. Able to attain necessary visa for travel when
applicable. Expected travel time - 10%.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or
Physics and at least 2 years of engineering work experience is
- Master's Degree in Engineering is preferred.
- Strong team player with dual ability to work as a team player
or a team leader.
- Fundamental knowledge of vapor compression HVAC technologies &
components using various high, medium and low-pressure HCFC, HFC
and HFO refrigerants.
- Knowledge of single and two-phase fluid flow as it relates to
design of air to refrigerant or water to refrigerant evaporators
and condensers and ability to develop physical-based models of
- Knowledge of the design, performance prediction and cost
analysis process for air to refrigerant or water to refrigerant
heat exchangers applied to the process of refrigerant evaporation
and condensation. (Typical components are RTPF or MCHE coils, BP
and shell & tube evaporators for water chillers of the falling
film, pool, or DX type and shell & tube water-cooled
- Good understanding of the application of computer simulation
tools and theory to HVAC system design.
- Experience with application of various components used within
HVAC systems such as coils, compressors, motors and fans.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficient
with MS Office.
- Quality and customer service orientation.
- Must be a self-starter with a high energy level and a high
commitment to career development.
- Must have the ability to quickly and efficiently understand,
condense and organize information necessary to make engineering
- Ability to make progress by producing deliverables and
completing projects in a multi-tasking environment (several
- Excellent technical, analytical and problem solving skills.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and
programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional
and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is
inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving
customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what's
possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our
communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Commercial HVAC NA and EMEA, La Crosse , Thermal Systems Engineer, Other , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!