Modeling & Simulation Engineer
Company: Ingersoll Rand
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: January 11, 2020
At Ingersoll Rand we are passionate about inspiring progress around
the world. We advance the quality of life by creating comfortable,
sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family
of brands-including Club Car® , Ingersoll Rand® , Thermo King® ,
Trane® , American Standard® Heating & Air Conditioning and ARO® -
work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes
and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and
increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a global
business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring
results. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com .
Ingersoll Rand is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an
equal opportunity employer, dedicated to hiring a diverse
workforce; including individuals with disabilities and United
States qualified protected veterans.
The Modelling & Simulation Engineer will develop modelling and
simulations of electric drives/motors and incorporate into
hardware-in-the loop (HIL) systems. This position will involve
working in state-of-the-art laboratories with subject matter
experts (SMEs) and include opportunities to publish key project
findings in conference proceedings and technical journals.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Multiple areas centered around electric drives and motors,
including modelling and simulation, controls, model based code
generation, finite element analysis, HIL simulation and validation
- Hardware design of HIL testbeds for drives testing.
- Develop automated test scripts.
- Interface with USA, Finland and India modeling and simulation
groups to look for opportunities for common integration.
- Understand drive motor control algorithm for various motor
- Perform in-depth analysis utilizing analytical tools available
in the industry.
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge in the areas of
electric drives to maximize productivity, quality and drive
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret
results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians
and other team members.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular
- Write clear technical reports and present results in formal and
- Maintain/develop software tools to improve development,
testing, and trouble shooting.
- Work with software, mechanical, and reliability engineers
across the IR sectors to develop system requirements.
- Support development of qualification test standards for power
- Master's Degree in Power Electronics or Electrical Engineering
and at least 1 year of Co-op or Internship work experience is
- Ph.D. in Engineering is a plus.
Essential Skills or Knowledge:
- Experience with HIL based platforms such as Opal-RT, Speedgoat,
RTDS is required.
- Understanding of control system design including
instrumentation and HMIs. Classical control knowledge required (PID
control, linear control, digital filtering). Advanced control
knowledge preferred (modern control theory and model predictive
- Understanding of optimization techniques is preferred.
- Experience in variable speed drives, closed loop control
methods and motors is preferred.
- Experience with model based design processes and modeling &
simulation of complex systems is required. Proficiency with
Mathworks tools such as MATLAB, Simulink, and Stateflow is
required. Proficiency in SVN is beneficial.
- Experience in automating processes via m-scripts and App
Designer is preferred.
- Understanding or working knowledge of FEA based simulation
tools such as MotorSolve, MAGNET etc. is desired.
- Strong background in programming microcontrollers via embedded
C, understanding of peripherals such as ADC, DAC, PWM, Digital I/O,
SPI, I2C etc. is required.
- Experience with MAAB, J-MAAB, IEC 62304 or equivalents are
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function
effectively in independent and team based situations.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment for extended
duration, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and
- Must be adept at report writing and presenting technical
information to a wide audience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required with good
interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with
We are committed to helping you reach your professional, personal
and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns
with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you
live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and
diverse culture that engages as well as values the different
backgrounds and experiences of our employee, which, in turn, spurs
innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer
If you share our passion for inspiring progress-for bringing about
bold shifts in how people, economies and societies operate-then you
belong with Ingersoll Rand. Progress begins with you!
Keywords: Ingersoll Rand, La Crosse , Modeling & Simulation Engineer, Other , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!