Design Engineering Team Leader
Company: Trane Technologies
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: June 19, 2022
At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including
Trane - and Thermo King -, we create innovative climate solutions
for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what's
possible for a sustainable world. We're a team that dares to look
at the world's challenges and see impactful possibilities. We
believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our
people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
As the Team Leader of a Chiller Design Team, this role is
responsible for all aspects of equipment design including design
creation, change management during development, design for
manufacturability, product cost, performance, quality, reliability,
delivery of design deliverables to schedule, etc. In addition, the
Chiller Product Design Leader creates and maintains the development
schedule, plans, and manages the workload of the design team and
defines and approves work content that may be assigned to other
functional resource groups such as the Trane Technologies
Engineering Technology Centers, Networks of Excellence, Compressor
Engineering, Thermal Systems Engineering, Controls Engineering,
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Responsible for all aspects of chiller equipment design
including heat exchangers, compressors, controls, electrical
design, general assembly, and any other required subsystems.
- Responsible for specification, selection, and qualification of
all purchased components and assemblies, or internally supplied
components. Supports PPAP needs as required including release to
support PPAP timing.
- Responsible for management and approval of changes to the
design throughout the design process from concept generation
through release of all design deliverables.
- Responsible for following accepted design and review practices
including DFMEA, DVP&R, design reviews utilizing subject matter
experts, and others as specified in Trane Technologies Product
- Responsible for ensuring the design meets DFM
- Responsible for ensuring the design is capable of meeting
agreed-to reliability and quality requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring the design meets agreed-to performance
- Responsible for generating cost targets and estimates for the
design, and for ensuring the design meets the agreed-to cost
- Responsible for the creation and delivery of all required
- Responsible for planning and maintaining the development
schedule and for delivering design deliverables according to the
- Responsible for defining, planning, and approving the work
activities of the design team. This includes defining and approving
work content that may be assigned to other functional resource
groups such as Trane Technologies Engineering Technology Centers,
Networks of Excellence, Compressor Engineering, Thermal Systems,
Controls Engineering, etc.
- The Chiller Product Design Leader will function as the lead
engineer for their product by acting to ensure due diligence is
applied throughout the design process through coaching, mentoring
and oversight of the design team. An example of due diligence in
design would be making sure meaningful design reviews are conducted
which include outside SMEs rather than just internal team
- 10-15% travel (including international) may be required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and at least 5 years of
experience in product development is required.
- Master's Degree in Engineering is preferred.
- Project management experience or PMI certification is
- Must be an effective team player with the ability to work with
cross-functional or global groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience designing and testing HVAC equipment and/or
sub-systems (compressors, heat exchangers, controls, motors, and
- Familiarity with PLM, CAD, and 1D Mechatronic System simulation
- Experience using project management software such as Microsoft
Project is desired.
- Design for Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certification is a
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and
programs. We are an equal opportunity employer; all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Trane Technologies, La Crosse , Design Engineering Team Leader, Hospitality & Tourism , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!