Lab Metrology Supervisor
Company: Commercial HVAC NA and EMEA
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: March 14, 2020
At Trane Technologies we Challenge Possible. Our brands -
including Trane-- and Thermo King-- - create access to cooling and
comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and
perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less
environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon
emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly
challenge what's possible for a sustainable world.
The Lab Metrology Supervisor is a professional member of the
Commercial HVAC Engineering Laboratory Team. This supervisory role
is committed to directing the development of calibration methods
and techniques based on principles of measurement science,
technical analysis of measurement problems and accuracy and
precision requirements. Responsibilities include promoting lab
safety and meeting all safety goals, training and development of
team members, providing recognition/awards to deserving team
members and active mentoring for the team. Other responsibilities
include daily sponsorship of visual management processes, metric
tracking and other Operational Excellence (OPEX) initiatives in
conjunction with the Laboratory OPEX team and actively
participating in the 5S program for the CHVAC Laboratories. The
Metrology Team works closely with Lab Quality to fully comply with
all ISO 17025, UL DAP and other agency requirements as well as with
all other Laboratory teams, as needed, for product development
testing. This role also interacts with project teams, other Trane
Technologies Labs/functions and customers to fully support product
development test needs within the Commercial HVAC SBU and other
SBU's as requested.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Maintain calibration laboratory and/or departmental
accreditation, and quality systems.
- Apply measurement science, mathematics, and physics to develop,
document, and maintain calibration systems, procedures, and methods
for electrical, physical, mechanical, environmental, and test
equipment (IM&TE) based on analysis of measurement problems,
accuracy and precision requirements.
- Evaluate new calibration methods and procedures. Use statistics
to analyze measurement standards and processes.
- Active daily interaction, including layered audits, with all
Lab team members to ensure compliance with the Lab Quality
Management System aimed at improving the Lab's ability to
consistently produce valid test results and data.
- Utilize PPM to plan team resources, both people and facilities,
needed to safely support high quality, on-time completion of the
project deliverables per the customer's requested due date (project
- Lead a team of Technicians to continuously improve Trane's
world-class CHVAC Engineering Laboratory utilizing OPEX Lean
Principles including visual management and 9-step problem solving
- Talent Management - recruit, mentor, and motivate team members
while generating an engaged team approach with the rest of the
organization. Work closely with the team members to define and
support personal development plans.
- Develop and implement standard work in the Metrology area to
eliminate waste and leverage best practices.
- Develop and support achievement of performance objectives for
the team, in conjunction with the other CHVAC Laboratory
Supervisors, which are aligned with business unit objectives and
visual management metrics.
- Work closely with Project Teams to understand development
testing needs (resources, equipment, instrumentation, deliverables
- Utilize visual management and collaboration with other Lab
Supervisors to manage daily resource needs to fulfill these
- Alignment and prioritization of the daily tasks the team needs
to execute to stay aligned with project team's
- Support implementation of Capital Expenditure projects which
continue to enhance our world class CHVAC Laboratories.
- Support timely completion of facility and equipment
preventative maintenance through the utilization of a Total
Preventative Maintenance (TPM) system.
- Work closely with team members to responsibly use and protect
natural resources through conservation and sustainable
- Work closely with the Lab Operations Leader to operate within
budget for the team.
- Work closely with CHVAC Operations and other Laboratory team
members to support sales order performance testing as
- Ability to travel - 5%.
- Associate's Degree in HVAC/R, Electro-Mechanical or Electronics
and at least 3 years of experience is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and at least 2 years of
experience is required.
- Metrology experience in a lab environment is
- Previous supervisory or project team leadership experience is
- Experience with HVAC equipment, product design, lab equipment &
testing practices or operations environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a lead position or
supervisory role in a metrology environment.
- Strong technical experience: e.g. Quality control, Metrology,
- Excellent ability to coach, motivate and engage others to
develop high performing teams.
- Experience with Visual Management, Lean and/or Six Sigma
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Excel,
PowerPoint and Word).
- Ability to coach, motivate and engage others to develop high
- Familiar with test equipment, laboratory testing, workflow
processes and quality systems.
- Leading the team through structured problem solving
- Experience with change management and continuous
- Experience writing/developing processes and procedures.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and
programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional
and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is
inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving
customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what's
possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our
communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Commercial HVAC NA and EMEA, La Crosse , Lab Metrology Supervisor, Healthcare , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!