Lead Aerodynamics Engineer
Company: Trane Technologies
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: July 26, 2022
At - and through our businesses including and , we create
innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and
transportation that challenge what's possible for a sustainable
world. We're a team that dares to look at the world's challenges
and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when
we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at
home. We boldly go.
This Lead Aerodynamics Engineer will join our Applied Compression
Network of Excellence (NoE). - At Trane Technologies, our Networks
of Excellence are teams that develop advanced concepts and products
through application of leading technologies in the HVAC sector. -
The Performance & Prediction Group performs the aerodynamic design
of centrifugal compressors for refrigeration products. -The
qualified individual will perform centrifugal compressor
aerodynamic design and analysis, including the development and
application of advanced analytical tools, use of computational
fluid dynamics (CFD) with laboratory testing, and data analysis to
achieve optimum performance, reliability, manufacturability, and
reduced sound levels. - A subject matter expert designing new
products in addition to improving and maintaining existing products
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added): -
- Plans, conducts, coordinates, and supervises engineering
assignments, typically involving major projects. - - Identifies
appropriate personnel to support the work.
- Works independently as expert with minimal supervision. -
Operates with substantial latitude in the decision making
- Application of tools to design new or improved compressors or
aerodynamic flow path components for refrigeration applications
with consideration for manufacturing processes.
- Test plan creation, instrumentation specification, and review
of experimental test data against predictive design tools
- Modification of models or process to reflect new learnings
(closing the design loop).
- Continued development of grid generation processes (commercial
or internal) and CFD pre- and post-processing tools to facilitate
modeling integration into our centrifugal compressor design system
to improve component performance.
- Effectively meet the needs of internal and external customers,
through documenting, reviewing, and prioritizing customer
- Support the development of Design Failure Modes and Effects
- Interacts with management, customers, suppliers, and sales
- Provides technical communication externally to universities and
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad up to -one week
at a time. - - Able to attain necessary visa for travel when
applicable. - - Expected travel time - 10%.
- Ph.D. Degree in Aerospace or -Mechanical Engineering (or
directly-related engineering discipline) and at least 10 years of
work experience in product development is required.
- Theory: - strong background in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics,
and CFD. - Courses and design experience in centrifugal
turbomachinery preferred, with some knowledge of refrigeration
cycles. - Experience with two-phase flow modeling and/or phase
change modeling is preferred.
- Software: - programming background and working knowledge of
AutoCAD or Creo. - Experience with meanline, inviscid, and
optimization design tools is preferred. - Basic skill in Excel,
Word, PowerPoint with preferred programming capability in Python or
C++ . - Adaptable to running on both Windows and LINUX Operating
- Practical: - CFD background and become proficient with ANSYS
CFX or Cadence Fine-Turbo, including the coding of macros to
automate CFD. - Must have grid generation capabilities and develop
a working knowledge within ANSYS Workbench or Cadence Fidelity for
fluids applications. Emphasis will be on centrifugal compressor
component DESIGN. -
- Good verbal communications skills and good technical writing,
documentation, and presentation -skills. - This will drive ability
to communicate requirements/results with internal designers,
consultants, and software providers.
- Must be a self-starter with a high energy level.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently understand, condense, and
organize information necessary to make engineering
- Provide periodic technical guidance to less experienced
professionals or technicians assigned to work on common projects
while having ability to work as an effective member of a
- Ability to make progress by producing deliverables and
completing projects in a multi-tasking environment (several
- Excellent technical, analytical, and problem solving
- Demonstrated capability for future small group leadership.
Base Compensation Range is $83,000 to $174,000 annually. - Total
compensation for this role will include an Incentive/Bonus plan. -
Disclaimer: - This base salary range is based on US national
averages. - Actual pay is a result of seniority/experience level,
merit and geographic location where the actual work is
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and
programs. We are an equal opportunity employer; all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Trane Technologies, La Crosse , Lead Aerodynamics Engineer, Engineering , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!