Company: River Valley Media Group
Location: La Crosse
Posted on: March 17, 2019
The River Valley Media Group, a Lee Enterprises company in La Crosse, WI seeks an experienced professional with a proven track record in accounting and management to lead the finance team for the River Valley Media Group, a group of award winning daily newspapers including the La Crosse Tribune, Winona Daily News, Chippewa Herald and a large group of weekly and community newspapers.The Controller will handle day-to-day responsibilities related to month end closings, preparing financial statements, and maintaining adequate internal controls in the finance area. The successful candidate will take charge of the monthly, quarterly and annual closing and reporting processes, define and document procedures, implement appropriate controls, and streamline financial systems. The candidate must communicate effectively, have strong time management skills, and lead the finance team through successful delegation, accountability, and structure.Responsibilities
- Handle all general accounting responsibilities of the RVMG, including supervising and managing rapid monthly closes
- Assure accuracy of financial reporting process ensuring that all reported results are in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collect, analyze, and consolidate financial data; recommend plans.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyze variances; initiate corrective actions.
- Prepare special reports for the executive team by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain income statements and balance sheet, monthly forecast, and annual budget.
- Responsible for managing working capital and strategic planning.
- Monitor and control departmental budgets
- Prepare monthly financial reporting package, inclusive of all supplemental supporting documents
- Supervise finance team
- Provide accounting advice and guidance to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and the operational team
- Analyze financial data to detect errors or missing information and initiate corrective actions as needed
- Work closely with corporate accounting to complete all necessary external reporting (tax and audit)
- Assure compliance with all tax matters including income tax, local taxes and sales tax
- Continually develop process improvement plans and capabilities of finance staff
- Perform other special projects or duties when requiredQualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of eight (8) years' experience in Accounting/Auditing
- Five (5) years supervisory/managerial experience in the Accounting field.
- Knowledge and experience in general accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems and software applications.
- Financial record keeping and reporting procedures.
- 5 years newspaper experience preferredThe River Valley Media Group reaches more than 380,000 readers in print and over 350,000 online readers throughout southern and central Wisconsin.Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of local news and information, and a major platform for advertising, in its markets, with 46 daily newspapers and a joint interest in four others, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 300 specialty publications in 22 states. Lee's newspapers have circulation of 1.0 million daily and 1.4 million Sunday, reaching over three million readers in print alone. Lee Common Stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LEE. For more information about Lee, please visit .Interested candidates should apply online at . Upon entering the applicant site, search for this position at the La Crosse Tribune in the location field.River Valley Media Group
Keywords: River Valley Media Group, La Crosse , Controller, Accounting, Auditing , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!